Lets Go Boating

Sharing Boating Experiences on the Water...the most interactive boating site on the web NEW CONTENT DAILY

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Deep Cycle Batteries

Steve & Jane

What is the very best 6-volt battery brand and size out there?

Interstate?  Trojan?  Crown?

I'm changing from two 12-volt Interstate deep cycles in parallel, to two 6-volt [golf cart] batteries in series, or may even go to four 6-volts.  

What's the best battery on the market? 

--

May 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd/Deborah

Generic golf car batteries can be expected to last 3 to 5 years, Trojan and similar types around 4 to 6 years, Surrette (depending on type) 8 to 20 years, and industrial 15 to 25 years. AGM's will generally go for 5 to 8 years. There are pro's and con's to both sides - if you are only going to use the system for 5 years, there is not much point to buying 20 year batteries. Now you just open a can of worms..you will  need at least a 80 amp charger to keep up with the charging of the  batteries you just installed,,if you plan to stay out more than the week-end at one time.Is it really worth it?..good charger $1000.00  good inverter $1000.00 batteries $1000.00..2/0 battery cables..make sure you do your home work One does not really work without the other..just my thoughts anyway

May 2, 2011 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of research Lloyd. I learned a lot from your post. TY.

--

May 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry & Marge
Administrator
i use 2 6 volt interstate battieries and i have a 40 amp charger and i run my gennie in the morning about 3 hours and in the evening about the same time and haven't had any problems.
May 3, 2011 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd/Deborah

Gary Pickering at May 3, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of research Lloyd. I learned a lot from your post. TY.

Example..We have 4 -6 volt golf cart batteries plus 2-8D batteries 1-27 series battery and a 3kw inverter on board charged with a 100 amp Marine battery charger.....we also find we have to run the 8kw diesel gen set for at least 4 hours a day  to keep the batteries above 12.06 (50% battery charge) However we do boil the kettle in the morning plus the Admiral may use her hair dryer.etc..Then again we are out for a weeks at a  time.

However if your just running a 12 volt fridge drawing 3.2 amp  a set of 6-volt batteries and a 40 amp charger may do the job...  if you run your gen set 6 hours a day. May I add, never run your batteries below half charge and always check the water level (distelled water)..Just my thoughts anyway.

May 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry & Marge
Administrator

Thanks Lloyd. i do run my generator at least 6 hours a day maybe closer to 7 or 8 hours and when i have it running it i try not use any 12 volt lights and my fridge at this point is running of electricity  as well as any lights i may have on so there isn't any load on my batteries therefore  they charge up to full. i also check my fluid levels regularly.  This seems to work fine for me.

May 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd/Deborah

Larry & Marge at May 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Thanks Lloyd. i do run my generator at least 6 hours a day maybe closer to 7 or 8 hours and when i have it running it i try not use any 12 volt lights and my fridge at this point is running of electricity  as well as any lights i may have on so there isn't any load on my batteries therefore  they charge up to full. i also check my fluid levels regularly.  This seems to work fine for me.

Response to some comments..yes, you should never charge a 100 amp hour battery more than 20 amps...yes, half discharge voltage can be rated at 12.2 depending on which book you read...yes there are different rates of charging..bulf,absorption,Float....equarlizaton....all I am saying is do your home work. Just my thoughts anyway.sshhh

May 7, 2011 at 7:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

Great information and tips.  Thanks folks. 

What would be the appropriate amount of daily charging time for the following situation?

I have an onboard Kohler gen which I ran perhaps two hours morning and two hrs evening.  We spent more than a week on the Beausoleil docks, running one 12 volt fridge, set just above '3' which means no ice in the freezer tray, hardly any lights, no radios, nothing else, and the 12 volt Interstates in parallel wouldn't keep up.

I like the tip about switching the fridge to 110 when the gen runs.  Makes perfect sense; I never thought of it.

I kept the batts well hydrated with distilled, but probably wasn't running the Kohler long enough?  This year I'm thinking of taking the gas-sipping Honda EU2000 along to simply to let it run longer for better charges.  Good idea - bad idea?   Otherwise it sits in my garage, but it was my best buddy on the water for a number of seasons previously.  Although it has been a blessing to have the strong Kohler for those other essentials [heretofore unnecessary luxuries to us boat-campers who enjoyed 'roughing it' for years] - toaster - coffeemaker - water heater - A/C when it's stiffling at bedtime] maybe my Honda buddy should tag along this summer? 

--

May 8, 2011 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

p.s.  My favorite marine dealer in Port Whitby offers and highly recommends the Crowne CR225 six-volts for $165.00.  Says they're tops in quality, durability, performance.

--

May 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry & Marge
Administrator

I have had very luck with interstate U2200's. they a little less than the crownes and i do change my batteries every 4 years for new ones. Another thing is the kind of fridge you have. If your using a norcold they use am enormous amount of energy. I have changed to a dometic which is much colder and uses less energy and is so quiet we never hear it running. Another thing is perhaps ypour batteries are to small for what you may want them to do and also you didn't say what size your charger is and it seems your not running your generator long enough. I stay out at times a week at a time and have never had any problems. Chances are if you have the proper batteries and a large enough charger and if you run your generator longer each day you may be fine and not need your honda.  Am i close to being right Lloyd?  Of all the people i know Lloyd is one of  the most knowledgeable when it comes to certain things aboard a boat.

May 11, 2011 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

William Lowry

Hi Steve,  I have just purchased 3, size 31 OPTIMA (AGM) batteries for $205 US delivered to our winter address.  They will be replacing the Opitma batteries I purchased 8 years ago which are still doing great.  I just want to be sure.  See you in July, hello to Jane.  Bill & jANET

May 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lloyd/Deborah

Steve & Jane at May 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM

p.s.  My favorite marine dealer in Port Whitby offers and highly recommends the Crowne CR225 six-volts for $165.00.  Says they're tops in quality, durability, performance.

Well thank you so much for your kind words Larry..seems we are on the same page.

Just my thoughts anyway,

May 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Larry & Marge
Administrator

Again Lloyd conratulations on being the best boat on the bay. Looking forward to seeing you at Bayport while you spend your week there.

May 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

Now seriously considering a pair of Trojan T-105, six-volt golf-cart deep cycle; apparently used in more six-volt applications than any other brand. 

--

May 16, 2011 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

I installed two Trojan T-105s [six-volts] for the house system, and they are doing fine.  One of the best deals I found was at The Cartguy, located on Hwy 35 in Lindsay.  I also changed out my old starters to new Interstate series 27 cranking batts.  I re-arranged how they sit in the engine compartment today, shifting all the battery trays to gain maximum room.  It looks like I may have room to add two more T-105s, and am considering doing that. 

--

July 8, 2011 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/battery/bat_convert.htm

--

July 8, 2011 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cameron

I used L16 batteries on my last boat, and am using them on my current boat.  These are 6V forklift batteries that have ~425-450 AH capacity.  They are a little bigger than a golf cart and about twice as high, so that can be an issue.

I used AGM batteries before (and am using them again), simply because they will accept a higher charge and do tend to charge faster, they don't gas, and I don't have to water them :)

I got a great deal on the Lifeline AGM's from Mobile Power Solutions in Aurora ($590 each).  I'd recommend that dealer as his price was about $100 less than others (I was buying 4 so he gave me a discount, but that's a pretty nice discount)  The price was less than Bayport was able to offer for Trojans flooded batteries.

January 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Waterbaby II

I too have bought the Lifeline AGM from the same supplier and I just love them.. They charge faster and no maintenance needed. I will not go back to regular lead acid for sure..

Stephan

February 16, 2012 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

qitom
Limited Member
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

qitom
Limited Member
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 9, 2012 at 2:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.