Lets Go Boating

Sharing Boating Experiences on the Water...the most interactive boating site on the web NEW CONTENT DAILY

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > McRae Lake Shrine

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

There used to be a little shrine of sorts on the cliffside near McRae Lake rapids close to Bone Island. The story I heard was that one Autumn a hunter and his son were out hunting and there was some sort of accident where the son broke his leg. The story as I heard it, was that the father prayed for help and vowed to build some sort of shrine if help came. Well, apparently help did come and so he built the little shrine right on the cliff. I climbed up there several years ago and there was a note but the inscription was very faded. Does anyone know if this little shrine is still there and  was the story I heard true?

GOOGLE IS AMAZING!! SEE BELOW

--

May 24, 2011 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve & Jane

I have some photos of this and the cross, mounted high on the rock cliffs, taken in August 2011.  Will try to post them.  Can you post images on the forum?  Doesn't appear so. 

--

June 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

Steve & Jane at June 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM

I have some photos of this and the cross, mounted high on the rock cliffs, taken in August 2011.  Will try to post them.  Can you post images on the forum?  Doesn't appear so. 

We should be able to post them Steve. That would be fantastic!

--

June 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

Thank you very much Steve for supplying these pictures. Now if someone knows the real story about this Shrine, It would be nice to know.

--

June 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paul Adams

Our family knew a man, his name was Joe Corbier, he was a native of this land, the story that  was told to us in the 1960's is that a man and his son went hunting in the bush, and they got lost, he prayed that someone would find them, and if they ever got out of the bush safe he would build a monument, and this is how monument channel and the monument came about.

June 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wendy

Our Ports book is on the boat - not here with me at home, but, the story is in the book.  You can look it us.  I will try to remember to bring the Ports book home and recopy it for you.

June 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

Wendy at June 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Our Ports book is on the boat - not here with me at home, but, the story is in the book.  You can look it us.  I will try to remember to bring the Ports book home and recopy it for you.

That would be very interesting Wendy

--

July 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

qitom
Limited Member
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

qitom
Limited Member
This content has been removed due to abuse.
June 9, 2012 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob D

I have visited the Madonna, and spend part of a summer near there in 1975.  I knew the man who built the shrine in 1931.  His name was Ted Becker Sr.  He was a candy manufacturer and also ran a summer day camp outside of Buffalo, NY, and was in his late 80s or early 90s when I knew him.  I was one of three boys who were selected to spend the summer at his camp, along with others.  After all these years, I still have the writeup of the story as it was told to Fred J. Erion.  It is quite lengthy, but I can retype it and send it to anyone who is interested - just let me know. 

Apparently, he and his wife, along with their 6 year old daughter moved to be close to a body of fresh water as she was stricken with a severe case of whooping cough.  One night, a bear tried to break into the cabin they were staying in, and Ted grabbed his 22 gauge rifle by the barrel.  Upon opening the door, he was confronted by the bear, and he swung the rifle at the bear while holding the barrel, and the gun went off, striking him in the abdomen.  The bullet passed through his stomach and spleen, and hit his spine and lodging in the right thigh.  He initially passed out from the pain.  His wife dragged him to the small motor boat they had, and along with their daughter and Irish Setter, set up to find help.  Ted managed to start the motor and they headed towards the portage rapids (near the shrine) that they had to go through.  His daugher prayed to the Virgin Mary, asking for her help.  They made it through the rapids and and eventually got stuck on a rock.  They called for help, and someone in a nearby cabin heard them.  They transferred the family to a powerful motorboat that took the family to Midland. They found a doctor, and for three weeks Ted was near death.  He eventually survived, and after 7 weeks in the hospital was released.  During his hospital stay, he realized how miraculous his survival was and remembered his daughter praying to Mary.  He promised to make a pilgrimage to the place where the miracle occurred and erect a shring in thanksgiving.  

In May 1931 he erected the shrine upon the rocks above the rapids.  It was his private place of thanksgiving initially, but soon after guides heard the story and encouraged others to visit.  He says "In telling the story the natives have added fictitious tales".  He found notes left by visitors asking as to the true story, and so he decided to write up his experience.  

The story and writeup is much longer than I think the board moderators would appreciate, so if you are interested, I can type up the entire story and make it available.  I'm sure Mr. Becker and Mr. Erion wouldn't mind!

July 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gary Pickering
Site Owner

Bob D at July 28, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I have visited the Madonna, and spend part of a summer near there in 1975.  I knew the man who built the shrine in 1931.  His name was Ted Becker Sr.  He was a candy manufacturer and also ran a summer day camp outside of Buffalo, NY, and was in his late 80s or early 90s when I knew him.  I was one of three boys who were selected to spend the summer at his camp, along with others.  After all these years, I still have the writeup of the story as it was told to Fred J. Erion.  It is quite lengthy, but I can retype it and send it to anyone who is interested - just let me know. 

Apparently, he and his wife, along with their 6 year old daughter moved to be close to a body of fresh water as she was stricken with a severe case of whooping cough.  One night, a bear tried to break into the cabin they were staying in, and Ted grabbed his 22 gauge rifle by the barrel.  Upon opening the door, he was confronted by the bear, and he swung the rifle at the bear while holding the barrel, and the gun went off, striking him in the abdomen.  The bullet passed through his stomach and spleen, and hit his spine and lodging in the right thigh.  He initially passed out from the pain.  His wife dragged him to the small motor boat they had, and along with their daughter and Irish Setter, set up to find help.  Ted managed to start the motor and they headed towards the portage rapids (near the shrine) that they had to go through.  His daugher prayed to the Virgin Mary, asking for her help.  They made it through the rapids and and eventually got stuck on a rock.  They called for help, and someone in a nearby cabin heard them.  They transferred the family to a powerful motorboat that took the family to Midland. They found a doctor, and for three weeks Ted was near death.  He eventually survived, and after 7 weeks in the hospital was released.  During his hospital stay, he realized how miraculous his survival was and remembered his daughter praying to Mary.  He promised to make a pilgrimage to the place where the miracle occurred and erect a shring in thanksgiving.  

In May 1931 he erected the shrine upon the rocks above the rapids.  It was his private place of thanksgiving initially, but soon after guides heard the story and encouraged others to visit.  He says "In telling the story the natives have added fictitious tales".  He found notes left by visitors asking as to the true story, and so he decided to write up his experience.  

The story and writeup is much longer than I think the board moderators would appreciate, so if you are interested, I can type up the entire story and make it available.  I'm sure Mr. Becker and Mr. Erion wouldn't mind!

Hi Bob,

Have read your post and I think people would be very interested to read the full story as alluded to by you above. If you get a chance, would be nice to have you post. Thanking you in advance,

Gary

--

August 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.